Saturday 19 February 2011

The spark!!!

So, what was the reason for me beginning the D of E gold award?? Now, before I start, I really should say this; I can't spell Edinburgh without having to ask my Dad for the spelling! So I will be calling the award the 'D of E' throughout this  blog. So, what was the spark behind me starting the D of E gold award? Well, I go to explorer scouts in Oxford (Angelmead- the best explorer scout unit in the country!), and a member of the D of E committee was invited to speak on the topic. We were told all about the D of E (while I will explain fully in a second), and how we could apply and what we needed to do. I realised that for most sections I already had something that I could use, such as violin and piano lessons in the skills zone. For this reason, I decided I could skip Bronze and Silver and go straight to Gold award. So, what is invloved in the D of E gold award? Well...

  • Volunteering (12 months)- You need to volunteer for 12 months- maybe at a youth centre, supporting a local primary school reading scheme or even becoming a D of E leader. I help usher at my local theatre, so I will be using this. However, I may start up a different one as well, such as helping at Beavers or Cubs!
  • Skills (12 months)- "You can learn completely new skills or develop existing talents"- From cooking, jewellery making and drama classes, to playing an instrument, storm chasing or chess. In my opinion, this seems to be one of the most interesting sections. I will be doing the instrument part (I'm on grade 8 violin and grade 5 piano, so I will be aiming for diploma and grade 7 respectively). I may also take up keeping tropical fish, which is also classed as a skill!
  • Physical recreation (12 months)- This is better for the sporty types in the country- not really me! "You can join a team or do it on your own- just make sure you choose something you enjoy". Suggestions range from Extreme Ironing (which sounds awesome--but just not for me!) to ultimate frisbee, bowling, self-defence classes or Scuba diving. I used to play hockey for a team, but I think I'm going to do swimming for my physical recreation- I actually acheived my 1500m award (they call it the 'mile') a few years back, but I stopped swimming since then. I hope to take it back up as a weekly venture. 
  • Expedition (4 days, 3 nights)- For a person who has been in scouting for 10 years, this is one of the most exciting parts of the D of E, and the one I am most looking forward to. "Highs, lows, great laughs and incredible experiences" "Working as a team with your mates, away from adults, your planning, initiative, spirit of adventure and teamwork will be put to the test". The D of E booklet suggests walking, cycling, sailing, canoeing, wildlife pictures whilst canoeing in Sweden, a challenging route undertaken on a wheelchair in the Peak distric or even sailing across the English channel <-- maybe too adventurous for me! Instead, I think we will plan to go to the Brecon Beacons on a WW2 plan crash trek, or maybe something abroad! Just need to find the team first!
  • And finally... a residential (5 days and 4 nights)- I am also looking forward to this, but I go on planned trips with my touring orchestra. However, the D of E booklet suggests helping out on a pilgrimage to Lourdes, or monitoring turtle populations in Costa Rica! 
Overall, the D of E gold award is a lot of work. It will take at least a year to do, probably a bit longer! However, it is all worthwhile, and it is apparently one of the first things that University's look for after seeing the grades! All you need is;
-Patience
-The want to improve in skills and physical rec
-And overall the determination to get the award.


Let's hope I've got those skills!!. Here I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment